Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: The new GPA IIIs are here!

  1. #31
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    I talked to Bill as well, and he was genuinely upset by this, even though I am not.

    "...first things is we are going to modify the packing as you mentioned the cutouts are a little loose."

  2. #32
    Senior Hostboard Member Seadweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 25th, 2006
    Posts
    175
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Can my current series II drivers be updated to the series III with the Urei horn? I'd love to hear a side-by-side in the same cabinet...

  3. #33
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    I think so, but it would mess up the accordian surrounding the horn...

  4. #34
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Seadweller:
    Can my current series II drivers be updated to the series III with the Urei horn? I'd love to hear a side-by-side in the same cabinet...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You would need a new x-over.

  5. #35
    Senior Hostboard Member Seadweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 25th, 2006
    Posts
    175
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmm, I hadn't considered the effect on the accordian that surrounds the horn...I'm working on a new crossover anyway, so before I jumped, I thought I'd see if the new horn was a drop-in replacement...

    Thanks!

  6. #36
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Todd W. White:

    The packaging is really no different than what we used at Altec.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This must be after I quit buying then as every new one I can recall came forcibly wedged face down into a molded Styrofoam insert with a circular cardboard spacer tube to brace it against the other end of the box and don't recall ever having to clean off any debris.

    Anyway, the last big prosound drivers I bought were packed in plastic bags filled with expanding foam and whatever the bags were made of didn't stick to the surrounds. They're really slick feeling, like Cling Wrap, which BTW doesn't stick either.

    GM

  7. #37
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, the latter-day Altec packing was different, and just like GPA's, save the logo and label on the box. My Altec GHP boxes were like that, no foam at all, with the later, fat "super-gaskets" handling the shock duty the foam used to be needed for. Other changes from the "old days" that Bill gets blamed for were already done by Altec too, such as the same kits in 418s and 421s, among other things. The best I can tell, all GPAs materials and methods carried over directly from what Altec was using/doing at the point in time he took over.

    Lacking the heavy poly bags, the last ones I shipped got the sandwich treatment, with about a half a roll of Cling Wrap each. I wanted to seal in some of that clean Arkansas air for my new down-under friend to enjoy. An extra layer of 1" bubble wrap on the backside compensated for things getting inverted on the other side of the world. forums

  8. #38
    Inactive Member Sounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2006
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is the spec sheet available? I checked the GPA website but could find only the previous combos.

  9. #39
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    A preliminary is ready - I'm waiting on Bill & Steve to send me their revisions, then it will be put online.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.